The Pittsburgh Steelers have turned over their quarterback room for the second offseason in a row.
Last year’s starters are both in New York now, as Russell Wilson signed a free agent deal with the Giants, and Justin Fields joined the Jets.
While the Giants could still add a quarterback in the upcoming NFL Draft with the No. 3 overall pick, the Jets are moving forward with Fields as their starter in 2025.
Jets general manager Darren Mougey said on Sunday that Fields is the guy.
“We believe Justin is the starter,” Mougey said, via video from SNYJets. “We believe in Justin. We believe we can win with Justin. We’re excited about Justin’s potential.”
It will be Fields’ third team in three seasons after joining the Steelers via trade last offseason.
“He has a quiet confidence about himself,” Jets coach Aaron Glenn told Judy Battista of NFL Media. “He can really throw the deep ball really, really well. Obviously, his legs are something that’s dynamic not just in college but the NFL as well. I just think he’s ready to break out as a top-notch quarterback.
“So, he’s going to do everything he can to be one of the better ones and we are going to coach our asses off to make sure he does a good job out there.”
Fields started six games last season for the Steelers, posting a 4-2 record before Wilson recovered from a calf injury. The former Broncos and Seahawks QB took over and went 6-5 as Pittsburgh lost it’s final five games including the Wild Card matchup with Baltimore in the postseason.